Click below to download : Birds Of Passage (flight The First & Flight The Second) - FLIGHT THE FIRST - The Golden Mile-Stone (Format : PDF)
The Golden Mile-Stone
Leafless are the trees; their purple branches
Spread themselves abroad, like reefs of coral,
In the Red Sea of the Winter sunset.
From the hundred chimneys of the village,
Like the Afreet in the Arabian story,
Tower aloft into the air of amber.
At the window winks the flickering fire-light;
Here and there the lamps of evening glimmer,
Answering one another through the darkness.
On the hearth the lighted logs are glowing,
And like Ariel in the cloven pine-tree
For its freedom
Groans and sighs the air imprisoned in them.
By the fireside there are old men seated,
Seeing ruined cities in the ashes,
Of the Past what it can ne'er restore them.
By the fireside there are youthful dreamers,
Building castles fair, with stately stairways,
Of the Future what it cannot give them.
By the fireside tragedies are acted
In whose scenes appear two actors only,
Wife and husband,
And above them God the sole spectator.
By the fireside there are peace and comfort,
Wives and children, with fair, thoughtful faces,
For a well-known footstep in the passage.
Each man's chimney is his Golden Mile-stone;
Is the central point, from which he measures
Through the gateways of the world around him.
In his farthest wanderings still he sees it;
Hears the talking flame, the answering night-wind,
As he heard them
When he sat with those who were, but are not.
Happy he whom neither wealth nor fashion,
Nor the march of the encroaching city,
Drives an exile
From the hearth of his ancestral homestead.
We may build more splendid habitations,
Fill our rooms with paintings and with sculptures,
But we cannot
Buy with gold the old associations!
Content of FLIGHT: THE FIRST The Golden Mile-Stone (Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's poems: Birds of Passage (Flight The First & Flight The Second))
- How The Babes In The Wood Showed They Couldn't Be Beaten
- Birds Of Passage (flight The First & Flight The Second) - FLIGHT THE FIRST - Catawba Wine
- Stanzas On Naething
- How Fair Cinderella Disposed Of Her Shoe
- Birds Of Passage (flight The First & Flight The Second) - FLIGHT THE FIRST - Santa Filomena
- The Farewell
- Birds Of Passage (flight The First & Flight The Second) - FLIGHT THE FIRST - The Discoverer of the North Cape
- How Little Red Riding Hood Came To Be Eaten
- Birds Of Passage (flight The First & Flight The Second) - FLIGHT THE FIRST - Daybreak
- Thomson's Edward And Eleanora