Click below to download : A Common Favorite (Format : PDF)
And so’s Jane Austen in her pretty way;
Charles Dickens, too, has pleased me quite a lot,
As also have both Stevenson and Scott.
I like Dumas and Balzac, and I think
Lord Byron quite a dab at spreading ink;
But on the whole, at home, across the sea,
The author I like best is Mr. Me.
A "first" of Elia filled my soul with joy.
A Meredith de luxe held no alloy.
And when I found _Pendennis_ in the parts
A throb of gladness stirred my heart of hearts.
A richly pictured set of Avon’s bard
Upon my liking bounded pretty hard;
But none brought out that cloying sense of glee
That came from that first book by Mr. Me.
And so I beg you join me in the toast
To him that I confess I love the most.
He does not always do his level best,
But no one lives who can survive that test.
His work is queer, and some folks call it bad,
And some aver ’tis but a passing fad;
But I don’t care, the fact remains that he
Has won my admiration-dear old Me.
John Kendrick Bangs's poem: Common Favorite
- West-eastern Divan - VIII. Book of Suleika - The Reunion
- Their Pens
- An Unsolved Problem
- West-eastern Divan - VIII. Book of Suleika - Suleika (4)
- The Bibliophile's Threat
- West-eastern Divan - VIII. Book of Suleika - In thousand forms
- West-eastern Divan - IX. The Convivial Book - Can the Koran from Eternity be?
- West-eastern Divan - IX. The Convivial Book - Ye've often for our Drunkenness
- A Poet's Fad
- West-eastern Divan - X. Book of Parables - From Heaven there fell upon the foaming wave